Most frequent questions and answers
Unfortunately, due to the current pandemic, FLOW will not be running during Summer 2020. However, we look forward to another great FLOW season in 2021! You can apply starting December 1.
After you submit the online application form, your application will be sent to churches who are looking to hire. If a church wants to interview you, they will contact you directly. If a church hires you, then you are a part of the FLOW Internship Program.
The FLOW Internship Program runs from May to August and consists of two main parts:
First, you will work at the church under the supervision of a pastor or senior staff member there. The job description, duties, hourly rate, and number of hours per week is determined by the church.
Second, you will attend four FLOW Development Events focused on leadership development and spiritual formation. Each event lasts 2-4 days. These events are part of your working hours at the church (ie. you are paid for attending!) All event expenses, including accommodation and meals, are covered.
- You must be committed to the Core Values of Be In Christ Church of Canada.
- You must be between 18 years (by May 1) and 25 years old.
- You must be a high school graduate.
- You must fill in every section of the application form completely.
- Preference may be given to applicants who are currently connected to a Be In Christ Church.
- Office administration
- Children and youth ministry
- Music and worship ministry
- Graphic design and videography
- Project manager
- Pastoral care
- Creative writing
- Branding and promotion
- Website design
- Evangelism and discipleship strategy development
- Local community connections
This changes each year, depending on which churches are hiring. However, all of the churches are in southern Ontario. In past years internships have been in churches in Oakville, Kitchener, Guelph, Sauble Beach, Kincardine, Penetang, Chatham, Whitby, Brockville, Collingwood, and in various places in the Niagara Peninsula.
Applications will be accepted between December 1, 2020 and April 18, 2021, but the sooner you get your application in, the stronger your chances of being considered for prospective jobs.
There are often more people looking for summer internships than actual spots available.
Use these tips to improve your chances:
- Be honest, clear, concise, and accurate in your application.
- Have a good understanding of what the FLOW Internship Program is. Contact us with any questions that you have.
- Provide details about your proven leadership potential and your desire to grow as a Christian leader.
- Articulate your strengths and learning objectives clearly in your application.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and energy to participate in the Development Days and FLOW Retreats.
- Be prepared to find strong references from two or three reliable sources.
- Be as flexible as possible – with the placement location, your hours, and rate of wage.
- Maintain confidence as you interview.
Once you apply, we will send your application to churches that are looking to hire. We work closely with churches to help them find good candidates for the positions they are looking to fill.
Churches interview potential candidates and decide who they will hire. You will be contacted directly by churches wanting to invite you into their interview process.
Interviews and hiring can happen anytime throughout January to April. Each church works on its own timeline in the hiring process.
There is no guarantee that you will be hired for a FLOW internship position, but we work hard to put your application in front of the right people and opportunities. Make your application as strong as you can!
Each summer is different, but typically 10-12. There is no cap. The number is only limited by the number of churches offering internships each year.
The small cohort nature of this program provides a fantastic opportunity to build relationships with like-minded peers over the course of four months. You’ll be developing an invaluable leadership network for the months and years ahead.
We don’t provide funding for housing. However, many churches are willing to help find places to stay, such as billeting with a family in the congregation.
Not at all! This program is meant to help you develop leadership skills that you can use wherever life takes you. It also helps you experience the significant impact that YOU can make in a local church in the future, whether paid or volunteer.
Yes, as a FLOW intern, you must commit to attending all of the FLOW Development Days and Retreats. This is a key part of your internship experience, and is part of your paid working hours. All expenses for the FLOW events are covered.
EVENT DATES FOR 2020:
Orientation Retreat : April 29 – May 2
Development Day I & Embrace The Mystery Retreat : June 8-9
Sacred Pathways Retreat : July 13-14
Development Day II & Final Retreat : August 10-12
Yes! Our FLOW Development Days are open to ALL young adults (18-25) for just $20 per day. These days provide high impact workshops with experienced leaders and coaches. Snacks and lunch are included. You must pre-register.